I was one of those kids who wasn't allowed to go trick-or-treating. (Yes, I was one of those kids.) But nonetheless I grew up to love Halloween, mostly for these reasons:
- The candy. Um, duh. We always got the big bag of random candy with the Tootsie Roll Pops and over the years I feel I've perfected the art of flavored mini Tootsie Roll flavor combinations. (Vanilla Lime? Divine.)
- Kids are the best. Kids in costumes? Knock me over with a feather; it's just too cute.
- It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! Because who doesn't love Linus and his sincere belief system?
- Halloween is basically the gateway through which Thanksgiving and Christmas enter...which means the celebration of both holidays will begin promptly tomorrow.
- (Just embrace it, people. Christmas in July = too early. Christmas after Halloween = right on time.)
Let's go back to the candy for a moment. Always a good subject to return to. If I were creating my ultimate Halloween mix, it would contain the following:
- Reese's (for the love of chocolate covered peanut butter)
- Snickers (the ultimate candy bar)
- Candy Corn (if fall arrives and no one eats candy corn, is it really fall?)
- Junior Mints (let's call these the "healthy" option)
- Mily Ways (because if one candy bar is good, two is better)
Ok people, it's your turn to weigh in! What are your favorite Halloween things?